Watercolor Study of a Violet Fairy

As I have mentioned in a previous post, I’m currently learning how to illustrate fairies and other magical creatures. It’s a good thing that watercolor is the preferred medium for fairy art. As it happens, watercolor is my favorite medium and fairies and other winged figures are my favorite subjects.

I finished this watercolor study of a violet fairy a few weeks ago, sometime in November. I spent days working on this — from nailing down the anatomical detail to rendering the fairy and the other elements. I must say that this has been one of the most difficult watercolor studies I’ve ever done. I almost gave up on this. Whew. I’m just glad it’s done.

violet fairy

I actually want to do a few more “corrections” but I barely have the time to paint or do art nowadays, so I’ll probably just leave it as it is. Perhaps I’ll do the tweaking when I finally decide to have this one framed. (Hubby says I might want to have this one framed.)

Anyway, here are some progress photos:

violet fairy sketch

^ I made the preliminary sketch using a B pencil. I drew on a rough Canson watercolor pad. It’s 265 gsm, I think.

violet fairy lined

^ Then I lined the fairy, the leaves, and the flowers using a dark sepia pen. The tree branches on backdrop are supposed to recede so I didn’t line them anymore. 

violet fairy base and wash

^ I took this photo while I was in the process of applying washes and base colors. The base color that I used for the fairy’s clothes is ultramarine. Then I added layers of purple lake, purple, and magenta. The base color for the leaves is sap green.

I’ll be working on some cute and ugly creatures next time. Fairies are lovely but the boogies and goblins will always be part of the scene. ;o) Thanks for reading through this post!

Supplies: watercolor paper (Canson 265 gsm); watercolors (Sakura Koi, Louvre, Winsor and Newton Cotman); brushes (Reeves, Pentel), drawing pencil (Kuelox, B). You can see the rest of my watercolor painting supplies HERE.

2014 Documented Life Project Week 3: Add an envelope from your mailbox

The 2014 Documented Life Project is about to end and here I am, still trying to catch up and work on a challenge whenever I can. Here is my interpretation of Week 3: Add an envelope from your mailbox. I didn’t feel like pasting an actual envelope on the page, so I decided to just draw an envelope. This one’s inspired by mail art, but I’m not sure if I can actually call it mail art as the dimensions are too large for mailing. :o)

Week 3

I used acrylic paints (Pebeo, Sakura) and ink pencils (Derwent Inktense) to make this art journal page. Other supplies used: wrapping paper (Eno), cling and clear stamps (Hero Arts, Pink Paislee), vintage stamp sticker, and ink pad (Hero Hues).

Week3b

Aside from the DLP, I’m also linking this entry to the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge for November. The challenge is to use stamps on your artwork and I did just that for this art journal page. I used a cling stamp with the definition of ‘dream’ and clear stamps for the butterfly, postal mark and ‘amusement seal.

Thanks for checking out my work. See you again soon!

Working With Limited Palettes

Whenever I look at a colorful art journal page or a canvas art made by someone, I tend to ask myself, “Now why don’t I do something like that?” But as soon as I get the paints out, I agonize over color combinations and end up limiting my colors to just 3 or 4. It’s not that I don’t know how to nicely pair up colors; it’s just that I prefer a more intimate and harmonious group of paints. It’s just me.

bird house and girlI sometimes wonder if this painting preference is a faint reflection of my personality. I don’t like crowded places, and I don’t like to please everyone. So even if I want to use many beautiful colors from my collection, I choose to limit the palette. It’s a small and focused group that often makes up my artwork, my personal space in the universe. But, of course, this isn’t always the case. (And I’m not really complaining.)